Driving Safety Course
DRIVING SAFETY COURSE
If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to take a Driving Safety Course for dismissal of the charge. The request must be made before the appearance date noted on the citation. If you were operating a motorcycle, you must take a Motorcycle Operator’s Training Course. If you were the driver charged with not wearing a safety belt, or transporting a child who was not restrained by a safety belt or child passenger safety seat system, you must take a Driving Safety Course that has four hours of instruction about seat belts and child passenger safety seat systems. If approved, the citation will be dismissed upon satisfactory completion of all conditions imposed.
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVING SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST
OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.
To Be Eligible To Take A Driving Safety Course For Ticket Dismissal, You Must:
• Make your request on or before the appearance date on your citation in person or in writing by certified mail. You are required to complete and submit a Sworn Request for Driving Safety Course form before your request will be considered. This form must be notarized.
• Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest;
• Provide a copy of your valid Texas Driver's license or permit;
• Provide a copy of your valid proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance);
• Sign a legal Affidavit stating that you have not have taken a Driving Safety Course for ticket dismissal within the past twelve (12) months prior to the date of your citation; and
• Pay the $107.00 administrative fee which includes court costs ($127.00 for school zone offenses);
You Are Not Eligible To Take A Driving Safety Course For Ticket Dismissal If:
• You hold a Commercial Driver’s License;
• You were charged with Speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit;
• You were charged with one of the following violations:
(a) Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene;
(b) Leaving Scene of Accident;
(c) Fleeing or Attempting to Elude Police Officer;
(d) Reckless Driving;
(e) Passing a School Bus;
(f) A serious traffic violation; or
(g) An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present
Requesting A Driving Safety Course:
• You may request DSC in person on or before your appearance date at the Municipal Court Office.
• To request DSC by mail, complete and follow the instructions on the Sworn Request for Driving Safety Course. This form must be signed in front of a Notary Public and returned to the Municipal Court Office along with the items listed above.
• All requests must be made in person or postmarked timely on or before your appearance date, which is listed on your citation.
Once You Have Obtained Approval From the Court and Paid your Fees, You Must:
1. Take a state approved Driving Safety Course within 90 days.
2. Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. The Application for Copy of Driver Record is available at Texas DPS Online and at the Farmersville Municipal Court offices.
3. Submit both of the following to the Court by your 90 day deadline:
- A certificate of completion from a state approved driving safety course.
- A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
If you do not take the course in the time required and/or fail to present the court with a certificate of completion, the court will notify you to return to court and explain why you failed to show proof of completion. Your failure to appear at that hearing will result in a warrant for your arrest being issued. Your case cannot be dismissed if you fail to submit to the court a certified copy of your driving record as well as the certificate of completion from a Driving Safety Course.
Where can you Take a Driving Safety Course?
The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Court personnel cannot recommend a driving safety school. The yellow pages of your local phone directory usually contain a list of state approved driving safety schools. There are also courses available online.